For the love of nature. For the love of people.
Sustainable hotel out of principle
ARIA Retreat & SPA, our 5-star superior hotel on Lake Lugano, is in one of the most beautiful parts of the world, which we need to preserve for our descendants. We strongly believe that stopping climate change and protecting the environment are the most important challenges of our time. Thanks to sustainable construction methods, optimised use of resources, ensuring our staff have appropriate training and awareness, and cooperation within the local area, we have significantly reduced the CO2 emissions of all our hotels over the last years. What’s more, here at our sustainable hotel we compensate for unavoidable emissions by providing financial support to the climate protection projects of Rete Clima in Italy, and consequently the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) and the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol
Our measures at a glance
- Free transfer from and to the Lugano train station for those arriving by train
- Free charging stations for hotel guests’ electric cars – solar energy produced 100% on site
- Recycling of coffee capsules and pads
- Recycling of soaps
- Refitted with low-energy devices
- Sustainable procurement of ingredients (welfare-friendly meat, certified fishing)
- Breakfast buffets with quality regional products
- Minimisation of food packaging on the buffets
- Kitchen waste is supplied to biogas fuel producers.
- No PET bottles
- Cooperation with local producers and suppliers
- Purchase of mostly regional products
- Use of eco-certified cleaning products
- Electricity generated solely through Alpine hydroelectric power
- Strict separation of rubbish and rigorous recycling of all materials
- Heat exchange and heat recovery for ventilation and wastewater
- We are constantly updating our technical systems to ones that reduce energy consumption.
- Internal and external communication is kept paperless as far as possible.
- All brochures that are still printed are made using 100% recycled, chlorine-free paper.
- Regular staff training on various sustainability topics